- Mini cupcake pan
- Mini cupcake wrappers (optional)
- Large bowl
No hechser needed:
- 2 large eggs, or kosher egg white product (no hechsher needed if you use whole eggs, but check for blood spots. You want a hechsher if you're using a processed egg product).
- Kosher vanilla or yellow cake mix (there are many available)
- Almond Milk (Pacific brand)
- 1 stick butter-- or if you can't find it, Earth Balance Baking Sticks (which are pareve)
No hechsher needed:
- Cocoa powder (pure cocoa powder, not a mix)
- Confectioner's sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Whimsical sprinkles of some sort (Betty Crocker brand-- many diferent varieties have a hechsher, but be sure to check)
- More almond milk
- More butter or margarine
Before you start, leave the butter out to soften (if using butter rather than margarine). Preheat your oven to 400 F.
Mix together the cake mix, 2 eggs, 1 cup almond milk, and 1 stick of butter in a large bowl. Keep mixing until all clumps are gone, but don't over-mix.
Place cupcake liners into your pan, if using them.
Bake cupcakes until the tops are golden brown-- around 20 minutes, but keep an eye on it, as ovens vary. Once they're all done, set them aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and 2 tablespoons of butter or margarine. When the mixture is smooth, add 3 tablespoons of almond milk. Now, add 1 1/2 cups of confectioner's sugar, and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (the latter of these is optional). Mix all ingredients together. If it's too runny, add more confectioner's sugar as needed. If it's too clumpy, add a bit more milk.
When the cupcakes are completely cool, frost them using a spatula. Adorn them with liberal amounts of sprinkles. Save a few tablespoons of frosting, and then eat it.